Brisk autumn air brings with it a new crop of fruits and vegetables. If they’re not soaked in butter, cream, and fried onions, green beans can be one of the healthiest side dishes. Even better the season for green beans tends to last through early winter. They’re just 44 calories a cup and loaded with vitamin C and K.
Here's a lighter version of the classic green bean casserole with mushrooms and crispy onions, and it tastes even better than the original!
Lean Green Bean Casserole
Total Time: 55 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 40 min.
Yield: 8 servings
5 Tbsp. whole wheat purpose flour, divided use
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 medium onion, (½ onion thinly sliced, ½ onion chopped), divided use
3 tsp. olive oil, divided use
8 oz sliced mushrooms
½ tsp. onion powder
3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped, stems discarded
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
½ cup nonfat milk
2 Tbsp. dry sherry wine
1 lb. frozen French-cut green beans
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Combine 2 Tbsp. flour, paprika, and garlic powder in a medium bowl; mix well.
3. Add sliced onion; mix until well coated. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add sliced onion mixture; cook, turning once or twice, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel. Set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
6. Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Add chopped onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes, or until translucent.
8. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the liquid released from mushrooms is almost completely evaporated.
9. Add remaining 3 Tbsp. flour, onion powder, thyme, salt, and pepper; mix until vegetables are coated.
10. Add milk and sherry; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly thickened.
11. Add green beans; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
12. Add yogurt; mix until combined.
13. Place green bean mixture in casserole dish. Top with onion mixture.
14. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly.
From the Team Beachbody Blog
I'm Kirsten and I LOVE to travel and I LOVE fitness. But I know what it's like to let the excitement of travel throw my off of my health & fitness goals. I'm here to provide tips on how to stay healthy & fit when you travel!